Working Together


In Exodus 3-4, God commands Moses to go and retrieve His people from Egypt. While Moses eventually does go, one verse struck me in a unique way. In chapter 4:13, Moses simply tells God, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." The passages leading up to this event contain several questions that Moses asks God. These all seem to be reasonable questions up until this point. When Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it," I thought, how many times have we as Christians said these words through our actions? Here are a couple of examples of what I mean:

"There is a worship service to be held at the nursing home this afternoon, and we need a speaker and a songleader." Do we volunteer? Or do we wait just long enough so that someone else does it?

"O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

"There is a service project on Saturday at 9:00 A.M., and we would appreciate all the help we can get." Do we go? Or do we value our relaxing Saturday morning more than helping fellow members?

"O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

Granted, everyone cannot always make it to everything, but if we are not careful, we will lose that sense of urgency for our responsibilities. At times I have been guilty of this myself. When the Lord comes back to find His workers, where will we be? Will we be in the middle of an, "Oh Lord, please send someone else?"

I found this attitude sharply contrasted by the attitude of Isaiah in Isaiah 6:8, where it is written, "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?' Then I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'" Wow, what a difference in attitude. When I read this, I realized that we all are either a Moses or an Isaiah at different times. I know we, as humans, cannot be a perfect people. I am simply urging us all to be more like Isaiah, and hear the voice of the Lord coming from our fellow workers in this world. Whenever a volunteer is needed, whenever a visit should be made, whenever there is a service that needs to be done,

"Here am I. Send me!"

Let's all make an effort together to be a "Here am I. Send me!" sort of people. How wonderful on the day the Lord returns to be caught in the middle of that sentence, eh?

Comments