Good Deeds Done

In Matthew 6:1, Christ is recorded to have said, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven." Does this mean that we cannot do good deeds while others are near? No. If we pay specific attention to the attitude portrayed by the one practicing righteousness, we see that this person is not practicing righteousness simply for the cause of pleasing God with their actions. Instead, the person described in this text is practicing righteousness (doing good deeds) to be praised by men, and to be great in their eyes, not God's.

As I read this passage, I found myself wondering why we (myself included) tend to feel slighted when we are not thanked, or repaid in some way, for some good deed we may have done. We should be careful not to demand thanks for the good things we do. Have you ever done something good, and nobody else knows? After doing this, instead of telling the first person you see what you have done, simply don't tell anyone. When I have done this, I find myself with a better attitude than when I began, my outlook on life brightens, and I tend to see others in a more positive way.

Taking the time to do a good deed, simply for the sake of doing good. I believe this is part of a Christian attitude. Have a great day, and try to do a good deed, especially when nobody would know.

Comments