28 Seconds


Over the past few days a video has gone viral, and at the time of this writing has amassed over 8 million views. The video is only 28 seconds long. What could possibly entrance so many people across the globe, you ask? It’s a tutorial on how to quickly peel a hard-boiled egg. I can’t make this stuff up. I’ll admit, I wasted the 28 seconds and watched the video and rationalized that I might save many minutes because of the investment. But even as I watched the short video (sound off because I had music playing – see, multitasking! I’m saving even more time), I thought to myself, “Why am I watching this? Aren’t there better, more important things to do in life?”

While 28 seconds might not seem like much, there is danger there. Not with the egg, but with the rationalization. “It’s just 30 seconds,” we tell ourselves. Then, before we know it, there have been ten or twenty 30-second videos, and then a few more after that. Each video leads to another, and with a rapidly clicking finger we can spend hours in front of the computer doing absolutely nothing productive, constantly telling ourselves we aren’t wasting any time. I’m reminded of a proverb I heard A LOT growing up (thanks Dad):
“I passed by the field of the sluggard And by the vineyard of the man lacking sense, And behold, it was completely overgrown with thistles; Its surface was covered with nettles, And its stone wall was broken down. When I saw, I reflected upon it; I looked, and received instruction. “A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to rest,” Then your poverty will come as a robber And your want like an armed man.”    -Proverbs 24:30–34
I can’t help but wonder: what was the sluggard doing with his time? Perhaps he had gained much knowledge concerning the proper peeling of an egg. 

Is it a sin to spend 30 seconds watching an instructional video? Of course not. But we must take care that we aren't swept away in the endless tide of time-wasting temptations that the Devil places in our path. If you're going to rationalize 30 seconds away, let’s think of better reasons. 
  • Rationalize an opportunity to share the gospel
  • Rationalize a moment of unexpected kindness
  • Rationalize a compliment
  • Rationalize a listening ear 
  • Rationalize a smile. 

These are much better ways to use 30 seconds, and in the process you might just be a brighter light that points the lost to Jesus.

Comments