A Helping Hand

Get me outta this rock!

As you may or may not know, I enjoy playing video games on a regular basis. It helps calm me down, helps me to leave behind any stress I am currently feeling. Sometimes, however, the video games can CAUSE more stress than they relieve. If you’ve ever played a difficult game you know what I mean. There was a certain game I was playing that had a seemingly impossible foe to defeat. After half an hour of straight deaths, I placed the controller on the end table next to the chair and went to bed.

The next day I was back at it, grinding through enemies to get to the juggernaut at the end, only to die without much resistance. I had no idea how I was going to overcome this challenge, so I decided to do some exploring elsewhere in the game. I came across a famed soldier who was held in a cage, which I conveniently held the key to. After a short conversation, I freed him in exchange for his help with my problem.

I then proceeded back to the nearly impossible battle, entered the arena with my helper by my side, and began fighting. The battle was over in a matter of a minute and a half. All I needed was a helping hand.

Evangelism can be one of those tasks that seem at the very least daunting, and quite possibly impossible to undertake alone. We can find ourselves saying, “I need to spread the gospel” or “I know he’s lost and in need of Christ,” but many times also we find ourselves, in those very same situations, making little or no effort to do the work we see needing to be done. We shy away from our Christian duty to teach Christ to others, to let our light shine before men. Sometimes, we need a helping hand.

In the New Testament we see patterns of evangelists and disciples going out to spread the gospel in pairs. Why is this? One of the reasons is so that they would be able to encourage each other and to help each other evangelize. Alone, the early disciples would have become discouraged and failed in their duty to God. Together, however, they were able to turn the world upside down.

If you find yourself shying away from evangelism, take someone with you to help encourage you. Find a partner. Married people, take your spouse. It’s easy, just find a friend who can help you, and go with them. The amount of courage you feel having someone at your side working with you will amaze you, and the effect you have on those around you will too.

You may well say, “I don’t have anyone who wants to go with me!” And physically that may be true. But never forget the One who goes with you in spirit whenever you are doing His work and abiding in His will. He will not fail you or forsake you. He is with you always, so take courage in Him.

Teach Christ to someone new today.

“Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.”

-Deuteronomy 31:6

Comments